Children and Their Families
When it comes to children and youth, we understand that the young brain is developing and children are trying to make sense of their world. We know that often times this looks like experimenting behaviors, unwanted behaviors, or challenging behaviors. We approach youth as they are and understand they are undergoing deep levels of transformation. We seek to meet youth where they are and help them by being someone they can trust to guide their thoughts, beliefs, and emotions. We work with a variety of children, including autistic children and their families.
We Want to work with the Whole System
Here at Converging Currents we strongly believe that counselling needs to happen on the family level when little ones are involved. We don’t want to replace your role in your child’s life and your ability to help them grow and be all that they can be. Often we find that change is most effective when the family is wiling to be involved in shifting along with their child and becoming more aware of what’s going on with their little one. We often discover that the home-life greatly impacts what your child is experiencing. We do not want to create children who are dependent on counsellors, but families who know how to support their child.
Family counselling is offered for whole family systems or to parents trying to figure out how to connect with or understand their child better. Family counselling supports the strengthening of individual relationships within a family unit. It can also help parents wanting to learn about or shift to attachment-base-parenting. Attachment-based-parenting will increase connection between parents and their children. Strong family connections are a protective factor that helps prevent child or teen mischief and misbehaviors. We work with all kinds of families, including those with autist children, to help them grow and deepen their cohesion with each other.
Benefits of Family Counselling
- Deepen connection and cooperation within your family system.
- Develop new skills for navigating difficult conversations with your children.
- Learn to communicate positively and assertively during conflict.
- Make sense of your child’s behaviours, emotional world, and developmental stages.
- Feel calm and confident in your relationships as a family.
- Develop skills to support your child’s emotional intelligence, including their ability to emotionally regulate.
- Create a secure base for your children from which they can explore the world and take healthy risks.
- Help your child learn how to build healthy relationships.
- Support children who are being bullied by peers.
- Discover why your child might be struggling at home or in school.
- Identify “attachment” patterns in your family.
- Find out what’s at the root of any family, relational distress.
- Increase your awareness of the patterns that are destroying your family’s relationships.
- Understand your own and your child’s needs and triggers in the relationship.
Types of Families We Work With
We work with motivated and respectful clients. We enjoy working with those families who are ready to shift things in their life and take charge of their own growth. We want to work with families who are purposeful and determined to transform their lives. We are passionate about helping clients increase self-awareness related to their actions and behaviors. We believes that self-awareness creates space for opportunity. Opportunity offers families new choices and allows them to take control of their lives and make their future what they want it to be.
Please see the Session Fees page for more information about session fees and therapeutic fit at Converging Currents.
Available Services & Fees
If you have any questions please email or call us and we would be happy to address your questions prior to booking you for an appointment. Contact Converging Currents so that we can answer your questions. We, also, offer Telemental Health Counselling online: Please see Virtual Counselling for more information about online sessions from the comfort of your home.